Function: Manage Habitat for Humanity of Craven County’s house construction / rehabilitation programs that utilizes volunteer labor, and produces quality homes for income eligible families in a safe affordable manner. Coordinates building activities for the affiliate in accordance with Habitat for Humanity of Craven County’s mission and standard of excellence.
- Sets annual budget and timeline for construction.
- Planning including:
- Strategic planning, budgeting & execution of projects
- Purchase of construction materials, tools and equipment
- Select design professionals (architect, engineers, etc.) to produce house plans for permitting
- Bidding and hiring subcontractors where needed
- Serve as staff liaison for Construction Committee.
- Update the executive director on a weekly basis on construction progress and any issues that may arise
- Prepare a monthly progress report for the executive director and attend board meetings when requested
- Oversees selection of lots within the established parameters of affordability and appropriateness for building based on family size, house design and annual construction calendar.
- Coordinate activities of new home construction or rehab
- Obtains appropriate permits and surveys for site
- Oversees appropriate actions to determine suitability for building (soil tests, surveys, easements, etc.).
- Prepare sites for construction, including clearing and foundation work.
- Pull appropriate construction permits and call for inspections
- Safety at construction site, including but not limited to: 1) implementation of emergency plan, 2) ensure that equipment and tools are in good working condition, 3) train volunteers in safety practices, and 4) monitor volunteers, to ensure safe use of tools and equipment according to age, skill and OSHA and Habitat for Humanity International regulations
- Review and authorize vendor billing statements
- Work with staff/board/committee members to obtain in kind donations of material and services.
- Stay abreast of potential advantageous building practices and material cost saving opportunities to construction.
- Assist homeowners in the following activities, including but not limited to:
- Educating homeowners in routine house maintenance
- Conducting punch list for closing
- Conducting warranty follow-up & repairs.
- Represent Habitat for Humanity of Craven County at events, and attend conferences as needed.
- Complete HFHI Competent Training Program, & CPR Certification
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Construction Site Supervision
- Identifies volunteer jobs/needs based on construction schedule and coordinates the needs with volunteer engagement. Work with volunteer engagement to coordinate volunteers ranging from beginner to skilled in construction tasks.
- Organize crew leaders to lead volunteer work groups.
- Quality control, including review of contractor and volunteer work.
- Safety at construction site, including but not limited to
- Implementation of emergency plan
- Ensure that equipment and tools are in good working condition
- Train volunteers in safety practices
- Monitor volunteers to ensure safe use of tools and equipment according to age, skill and OSHA and HFHI regulations.
- Maintain construction trailer, warehouse, and van in proper order
- Complete Competent Person training as required
- Attend monthly staff meetings to update staff on construction progress
- Conduct a walk-through with the partner family prior to closing and coordinate correction of any defects or any items on the punch list requiring attention
- Coordinate completion of all warranty work reported within one year of the sale of the home
- Education/Formal Training: BS in Construction Management, or equivalent work experience.
- Work Experience: 3 years experience in new house construction management, or equivalent experience.
- Aptitudes: Ability to coordinate the construction of single-family dwellings with volunteers and contractors; ability to supervise and manage staff/volunteers/contractors; ability to lift 50 lbs. or more; ability to operate company vehicles, construction tools and equipment; interest in working with disadvantaged families.
- Physical Demands: Strenuous activity requiring ability to sit, walk, carry, push, pull, lift 50 lbs., climb, and bend.
- Working Conditions: Exposure to extreme temperatures, loud noises, and other various adverse working conditions associated with outdoor work.
Email cover letter and resume to: NewHires@cravencountyhabitat.org